Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

I hold it towards you

Some garden.
A post in which we will lament the rich post this might have been, long for future technologies, celebrate the opportunity to learn more literature, listen to a TED Talk and visit with Rae and John, among others, then realize the connections between Romantic poets, language poets, and 21st century rock and roll bands.

The problem with writing blog posts in your head is getting them out of your head and onto the paper. Or whatever.
One reason I'm happy about taking Fantasy and Science Fiction  through Coursera is because the class starts with fairy tales. In college I avoided taking the Folk Tales class, mainly because I was so ignorant it sounded boring. Now I know that fairy tales, parables, myths, and folk tales are the basis of all literature. It's like I missed the anthropology of literature. (If the class had been called that I would have taken it, I love anthropology.) So I'm getting a small filling for a huge hole in my education.

To reiterate the good news for you readers reader, more time in class, less time in blog.

Ted Talk: Why people need poetry. By Stephen Burt, smart poetry guy: We're all going to die. Poetry helps us deal with that. (Also, IMHO: Limericks. So poetry is about sex too. You know, the little death.) Anyway: he really got me at Rae Armantrout. (Thank God for Modpo.) And then Keats. A good thirteen minutes.

Gotta go to class. Anyway, the Keats poem* that Stephen Burt quoted was 'This Living Hand.' I think maybe One Republic has read it.


I had a dream the other night / About how we only get one life / Woke me up right after two / Stayed awake and stared at you / So I wouldn't lose my mind

* This living hand, now warm and capable / Of earnest grasping, would, if it were cold / And in the icy silence of the tomb, / So haunt thy days and chill thy dreaming nights / That thou would wish thine own heart dry of blood / So in my veins red life might stream again, / And thou be conscience-calm’d–see here it is– / I hold it towards you.

No comments:

Post a Comment