Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

In which we swear off apologizing, except to Chilean and Spanish poets

We made a stupid mistake on various  social media and
referenced  Pablo Neruda instead of Garcia Lorca
owning green.  We're embarrassed but apologizing
only to the poets.
We claimed to own blue,
but we give it up. Lake Erie owns blue.*
 
There's been way too much apologizing here at CathyBlogs. We shouldn't be apologizing even for bad marginal writing nor for mentioning Greek philosophers nor for our affection for pop music of of the 21st century. From now on we're just going to do whatever it is we do here. Of course this puts the pressure on us for finding other ways to write lead paragraphs.

Before we quit apologizing completely, though, we must apologize to Pablo Neruda and Garcia Lorca, for that little mix-up on our Instagram yesterday.* ¡Lo siento mucho!

We cannot be regretful, Ray would not like it. It's his birthday. Well we are a little regretful because all our Carver books are at home, where we are not. They're celebrating in Port Angeles by reading poems. We're honoring his memory by not apologizing (much), and by sharing this quote, which we found on his Facebook page
"When you're writing fiction or poetry... it really comes down to this: indifference to everything except what you're doing... A young writer could do worse than follow the advice given in those lines."
A quote that rather makes us wish we were young; still, reading it does help set one's priorities. For example, when I write, even badly, I become indifferent to time. And all the other things I should be doing. We've learned so much from reading Ray, even if we can't always demonstrate it. How to tell a story in a poem, how to be real in a poem, how to turn a poem from one thing to another. Do his poems demonstrate dirty realism, too? Or just realism?

Never enough Ray, let's share these lines from 'This Morning'
But for a minute or two I did forget
myself and everything else. I know I did.
For when I turned back I didn't know
where I was. Until some birds rose up
from the gnarled trees. And flew
in the direction I needed to be going.
Shut up, forget yourself, don't apologize. Find your direction.*


I'd take another chance, / Take a fall, take a shot for you, oh, oh. / I need you like a heart needs a beat, / But it's nothin' new, / It's too late to apologize. / It's too late.

*Although really, how many people in the world mixed up Pablo Neruda and Garcia Lorca on Instagram yesterday? YOU HAVE FOUND HER.

*Garcia Lorca said
Green, how I desire you, green.
Big stars of frosted vapors
come with the fish of the shadows
that opens the path of daybreak.
We said to Lake Erie, 'Blue, how I desire you, blue.' And the lake gifted us.

*We are so sitting on our hands not to use One Direction. God it's hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment