Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

National Poetry Month, Day 7: The head and the heart

Week 1 of National Poetry Month and realized I haven't shared any of my favorites from the Modern and Contemporary American Poetry (link goes to the new class that starts in September -- sign up!) class I took last fall. Which is embarrassing, considering how many new favorite poems and poets we found. Here's one by poet Cid Corman, 'It Isn't for Want'

It isn't for want
of something to say-- 
something to tell you-- 
something you should know--
but to detain you-- 
keep you from going-- 
feeling myself here 
as long as you are-- 
as long as you are.

And here's more about Cid from the Kelly Writer's House page -- including PennSound recordings.

Bringing up the rear is today's assignment from the Writer's Digest Poem a Day challenge:
... write a self-portrait poem. Pretty straightforward, right? That doesn’t mean there’s not a lot of room for creativity. Just look at artists and their self-portraits; there’s a lot of differences in the self-portraits of Kahlo, Schiele, Dali, Van Gogh, and others–and not just because the artists look different themselves.
Not one of my favorite prompts but then it wouldn't be a challenge, would it? Inside my head I'm a slam poet shouting this out.

Self-portrait


The pen the paper
the words the lines
Just strip me naked
inside you will find
the pen the paper
the words the lines
rip out my heart
beating there you will find
the pen the paper
the words the lines
lay bare my soul,
fierce angels, and find
the pen the paper
the words the lines
take my very breath
in the air you will find
the pen the paper
the words the lines
ransack my grave,
errant robbers, you’ll  find
the pen the paper
the words the lines
the pen the paper
the words the lines
the pen the paper
the words the lines
the poem. A poem.


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous write! You work the repetition flawlessly.

    ReplyDelete