Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

National Poetry Month, Day 5: Cop out edition

Zou Bisou Bisou
First, a real poem for the fifth day of National Poetry Month, this one of my favorites, 'First Lesson,' by Philip Booth:

... As you float now, where I held you
and let go, remember when fear
cramps your heart what I told you:
lie gently and wide to the light-year
stars, lie back, and the sea will hold you.

For the Writer's Digest Poem a Day challenge, our instructions are:
... write a discovery poem. The narrator could discover an object, a person, an animal, a dishonorable deed, or any number of things. Poets can focus on the discovery, examine the aftermath, or even just mention it in passing.
 The only thing harder than writing a poem from scratch? Writing an assigned poem.

So we copped out, took the easy way, gave in to our lesser angels:

Where I Discovered Paris

Not in the crowded Louvre, nor
on the Pont des Arts as we
walked above the sparkling Seine, nor
even in the dreamy sky floating over
the Tour Eiffel, nor as
we danced in triumph
in the Elysian Fields --
Darling, now -- look at me:
J'ai trouvé Paris dans tes yeux.

Look at me. Look at me:


No comments:

Post a Comment