Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

National Poetry Month, Day 4: Since U been gone

My Because, cats and alcohol are cute. 
UPDATE: Forgot to mention that my shared poem for the day was Maya Angelou, And Still I Rise, in honor of her birthday: Just like moons and like suns / With the certainty of tides, , Just like hopes springing high, / Still I'll rise....

Today's poetry challenge from Writer's Digest Poem a Day:
... take the phrase “Since (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. Possible titles include: “Since the Last Time I Smoked,” “Since You Said Please,” and “Since When.”
Which I struggled with for much of the day then decided to hell with it and just have fun and this ensued:

Since you unfriended me

That intoxicating time when I’d
send you a text and I knew you
were waiting because you
texted right back.
Which ticked from
seconds to minutes to
oh-I-didn’t-get-that-one.
And the way your tweets
changed their tune
from our inside jokes
and just-us asides
to retweets from @Upworthy
and @JimGaffigan.
And my #cute #sleepy
#morning #face #unfiltered
is permanently Photoshopped
from your
Instagram stream,
although those #adorable
pictures of your feline
remain.
And let us not post to
Facebook, where we once
cemented ourselves with
‘In a relationship’-ness
and team-tagged our photos
and Applebees check-ins,
and all our selfies were
couplies --
Baby, where are we now?
Since you unfriended me
my newsfeed is bereft of you,
except for some
second-hand mentions,
my repeated ‘likes’
of Gotye,
and your unfortunate
number one
placement on my
‘People you might know’
page -- and I am left to wonder
‘What’s on your mind?’

I wanted to mention A Great Big World's Say Something in the pale poem but it took away from the sad loneliness of Gotye so I left it out. I think I Spotified in a post awhile ago anyway, so we'll use my guys Timeflies' version:


No comments:

Post a Comment