Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

National Poetry Month, Day 17: Thank God we have Louise Gluck to save us from Taylor Swift. Assist to Patsy Cline.

Patsy Cline. Her biography
is really good -- and sad. Bad ending. 
For our National Poetry Month real poem of the day: I've wanted to use this one since the night it snowed. Because snow in April pisses me off so badly I could never write a poem about it, even a bad one, myself.

This one is by former poet laureate Louise Gluck, and called 'Spring Snow':

... Yesterday
the moon rose over moist earth in the lower garden,
Now the earth glitters like the moon,
like dead matter crusted with light....

Read more about Ms. Gluck here.
And read the complete 'Spring Snow' here (you'll have to search inside the book) (didn't want to break any copyright laws by sharing the entire poem).

And in today's poetry prompt from Writer's Digest Poem a Day challenge;
... write a pop culture poem. I guess I broke out the Bon Jovi a day early, eh? But hey, write a poem about Bon Jovi or Van Halen; write a poem about the Kardashians (or don’t–and say you did); write a poem about a popular SNL skit; write a poem about Dr. Who or Downton Abbey; write a poem about any kind of popular culture thing-a-ma-bob you wish. In fact, write three! (Just kidding; you only need to write one poem–but seriously, write three and be sure to add a little more cowbell.)
This seemed to be something to have fun with and rip off other people's ideas; you know, the essence of pop culture!

Always something there to remind me

Baby, I’m so over you. And no,
if you’re wondering,
Say Something doesn’t make me cry –
although I may sing along, softly,
when no one is around –
Shut up.
But you know, what goes around comes around
and that’s a small indulgence;
for that matter, I’ve never liked
Fatal Attraction, so you can quit worrying.
Coward.
I didn’t love the way you lied,
I hated it; you weren’t irreplaceable,
and I don’t, and won’t, remember you.
Much.
Foolish heart, you stupid idiot,
what was the use in falling?
Once we were stone in love
and maybe we just should have been
stoned.
That was a game we couldn’t win
and a bridge that needed burned;
some waters are too troubled
to sail on by.
But, baby, you know, I’ll be alright without you;
what we had was sad, beautiful, tragic –
but I knew you were trouble when you walked in,
and now we are never, ever,
getting back together.
Jerk.
Willie might have written it, but
Patsy sang it best: Crazy.
I’m crazy for feeling so lonely,
crazy for feeling so blue;
crazy for tryin’, crazy for cryin’
crazy –
And I’m giving up on you.

P.S. Apologies to Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Journey, Justin Timberlake, Simon and Garfunkel, Rhianna, Burt Bacharach, Eminem, Beyonce, A Great Big World, and anyone I may have left out.

Steve, sing us out:


No comments:

Post a Comment