Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

National Poetry Month, Day 16: Shipwrecked [UPDATED]


UPDATE:
Due to social obligations and drinking, we missed yesterday's poem for National Poetry Month. I know you were all wondering where it was.

Here's one of my very favorite poets ever -- Jared Carter. He's an Indiana poet, the winner of the Walt Whitman Award for his book, 'Work, for the Night Is Coming,' and I've been very honored to correspond with him. You can visit his website at www.JaredCarter.com. Here's a few lines from my #1 fav Carter poem, 'Geodes':

.. I take each one up like a safecracker listening

For the lapse within, the moment crystal turns
On crystal. It is all waiting there in darkness.

I want to know only that things gather themselves
With great patience, that they do this forever.

Read it in its entirety here.

Today's prompt from the Writer's Digest Poem a Day challenge:
... write an elegy. An elegy doesn’t have specific formal rules. Rather, it’s a poem for someone who has died. In fact, elegies are defined as “love poems for the dead” in John Drury’s The Poetry Dictionary. Of course, we’re all poets here, which means everything can be bent. So yes, it’s perfectly fine if you take this another direction–for instance, I once wrote an elegy for card catalogs. Have at it!
Elegy for Your Blue Eyes

I miss you in the shallow water
where we walked in the late afternoons
and the reflection of the pale sky
swirled and settled and swirled and

I miss you in the dark and deep
beyond the place the waves break
where we swam and floated and
wondered what lay beneath and

I miss you on the berm at night
where the phosphorescence frothed
to the shore and the water caught
the moonlight and wouldn’t let go and

I miss you for it’s here we found
every shade of blue in sky and sea
that shines and tides without surcease;
where still I mourn for your lost

and shipwrecked eyes.

Oh this was just too easy:


No comments:

Post a Comment