Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

National Poetry Month, Day 15: Illuminated

Quick work tonight, for tasks and gatherings await.

From John Donne, for Holy Week. I love the violence and the sensuality of this, so unexpected:

Batter my heart, three-person'd God

Batter my heart, three-person'd God, for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town to another due,
Labor to admit you, but oh, to no end;
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captiv'd, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be lov'd fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

And from the Writer's Digest Poem a Day challenge:
... Write a love poem. Love, it’s such a big 4-letter word that can mean so much to so many for a variety of interpretations. Friendly love, sexual love, dorky love, all-encompassing love, jealous love, anxious love, love beaten with a baseball bat, hot love, big love, blues love, greeting card love, forgiving love, greedy love, love in a music video, and so on and so forth.
Luckily, we have a small item to repurpose. Long-time readers reader will not be surprised to hear this was actually inspired by Harry Potter -- remember the fire that Hermione could conjure when needed? And the little birds?

Illuminated

That night we sipped sweet dark wine
and ate warm brie, and bread,
and apples that carried
the essence of winter inside them.
He laughed when I shivered,
took my face in his hands,
and breathed the last warm breeze of summer
with his kiss, then pulled away, smiling --
Here, he whispered, This is for you.
He reached toward the candle,
scooped the flame into his hand --
laughing at my surprise --
And leaned towards me, saying,
Take it, it's yours.
Slowly I cupped my palms,
and he slipped the little flame
onto my fingers. As I watched it flicker,
he brought his hands together above it --
as if to applaud -- and crack!
The flame shattered,
and a thousand tiny sparks
clustered around us,
illuminating us,
electrifying us.
As an errant star
floated before me,
I said, For you --
then gently blew it away.

Let's go for the easy one:



No comments:

Post a Comment