Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

National Poetry Month: BASHED

Actually it's good any day with Aragon
Any day you are spared a root canal is a good day, right? And so it happened to me today. Let's kick things off with a haiku, one of my favorite poetry forms. Of course we've picked a haiku by Basho, that ninja haiku master:

The clouds come and go,
providing a rest for all
the moon viewers

Seemed appropriate as everyone is talking about this month's 'pink moon.'

Over at the Writer's Digest Poem a Day challenge, our prompt was:
... make a statement the title of your poem and either respond to or expand upon the title. Some example titles might include: “A Date Which Will Live in Infamy;” “Guns Don’t Kill People, I Do;” “This Is Your Brain on Drugs;” “Smile for the Camera,” and “Be Kind Rewind.” Of course, there’s an incredible number of possible titles; pick one and start poeming!
We thought about our 'statement' ... and by late afternoon an idea happened. And some lines were written, and worked on a bit, and then this:

There Will Come a Day

when I will pick up my pen
and write a poem of great things,
love and death, God and life --
There will come a day
when I will pick up my pen
and the ink will skein into words
that grown men cry to read --
There will come a day
when I will pick up my pen
to write of you and me and us,
the words as lovely as those
you once whispered to me --
There will come a day
when we transcend our story
maybe with the help of time,
and night, and wine; perhaps then
these lines won't blur before me,
my pen won’t stab the parchment
so the ink flows free and red even
as my heart bleeds lines to paper --

Darling, surely you must know by now
that this is not that poem
and today ... is not that day.

BAM! And we're listening to...

No comments:

Post a Comment