Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

The crime inside my head

Probably.
After you write a poem.
Errant reader,  I was going to warn you about today -- you’re probably not going to like it.  I don’t already. You know how I write, some phrase gets stuck in my head and I roll it around like a string of mental worry beads then write it down here and worry it around some more and make you watch. If you're lucky you'll find a song at the end of the post to make you forget.

This one didn't start with words. Unfortunately for either of us.

Maybe you know this famous -- or infamous -- story: Stephenie Meyer says that the idea for Twilight came to her in a dream on June 2, 2003. The dream was about a human girl, and a vampire who was in love with her but thirsted for her blood. Based on this dream, Meyer wrote the transcript of what is now chapter 13 of the book. Despite having very little writing experience, in a matter of three months she had transformed that dream into a completed novel. (Lifted from Wikipedia for convenience, but Stephenie’s told this story a million times. And some would argue her dream was a nightmare. For them.)

I should be so lucky as to have had a dream I’d want to spend four books in. I want to write seventeen syllables and get this bad dream the hell out of my head.

And actually it was a nightmare, not a bad dream, let’s be real.

This is more like therapy, I guess. Purgation therapy. And you, errant reader, are the therapist who must listen.

The Crime Inside My Head

Resolve yourself already,
damned insidious plot,
creepy cold-blooded crime
disguised in cerebral scenes --
murder on repeat,
anyone’s nightmare!
His malevolence is
just an act, right?
He's shooting blanks
and talking trash;
she’s a child star
reading lines
for an unblinking audience,
resurrected after the fall.

Let the film end
credits roll
theater empty and
the cleaning crew enter;
somebody wake me up
take my hand
and let’s go home.

Let’s see if this is enough. This song makes me happy because it's chocolate and if chocolate can cure you after a dementor attack it ought to help now.

No comments:

Post a Comment