Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

365 Poems: Stasis, failure and success

Day 342

My kind of Target.
Note the well-defined center.
Stasis: A state of stability, in which all forces are equal and opposing, therefore they cancel out each other

Failure: The state or condition of not meeting a desirable or intended objective, and may be viewed as the opposite of success.

Success: The accomplishment of an aim or purpose; the opposite of failure.

Here we are: Day 342 of 365 Poems. Let's go back to what I posted when we first began the project:
Anyway, here's what I'm proposing to myself: I'll post a poem every day in 2013. Some may be my own inadequate work. Some may be my favorites from favorite poets. You'll find a haiku or two, I'm sure. Mostly, I hope you'll find some words that make you stop a moment, breathe a moment, think a moment.
An unwritten goal might have to to find a better center for a decade-old blog that really had none; to find the kind of ... mission ... theme? ...  raison d'être? ... that good blogs have.

Results mixed, right? Persistence has helped out in the '365' part of it and that feels pretty good. That every day was a poem? Well, obviously not, but this one's leaning into the 'win' column; the posts rather reflect real life -- some days are poetry and some prose. And that center? We might have inched a little closer to that too. Guess we'll label it 'work on progress,' which is better than 'stasis,' huh?

We deny failure.

I was reading today Neil Gaiman's 8 Rules of Writing. I like this one:
The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, you’re allowed to do whatever you like. (That may be a rule for life as well as for writing. But it’s definitely true for writing.) So write your story as it needs to be written. Write it ­honestly, and tell it as best you can. I’m not sure that there are any other rules. Not ones that matter.
Persistence. Persistence. Persistence. A new header doesn't hurt, either. But that's just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment