Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

365 Poems: The final countdown, wrap-up edition

Day 361

THIS is not CNN.
So, we're almost done it: Completed a journey of a year's posts which were not always poems but hey. How about we go all CNN and over these last few days take a look at some top posts from CathyBlogs for 2013?

On of the top posts from December was this one: Lit 101 -- Today's syllabus contains found poetry, F. Scott, and Clint Black. Also, NPR.

Which included this found poem -- that I find I kind of like, still:

When the Eyes Transcend

When the eyes transcend
and I shall throw you into the river;
my plane has no wind no grass,
my dear Tzara;
let us have done with the purity.
You are a sweet girl
and I shall leave you for a moment.
I believe in neither common sense
nor paradox --
What said, my friend?
You do not believe;
it is too bad.
The dusk expiring,
so much beautiful --
I shall leave you for a moment
and I shall throw you in the river.
The finale of the symphony is hard.

And if you read the post you'll see the original material the found poem was, well, discovered from. I like finding found poetry (haha) but always feel like it's cheating, a little -- you're kind of playing scrabble with someone else's stuff.

The factoid of the day was:  The earliest recorded use of ‘wicked’ to mean ‘cool, good’ is from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s first novel, This Side of Paradise. Plus, "Fitzgerald’s first novel also provides us with the first known uses of the words ‘T-shirt’ and ‘daiquiri’." But not twerk, thank God. Way to contribute to the lexicon, Scott!

I should note that because of the limited analytics the blog uses it proved difficult to pull the top 5 posts of the year. So we pulled this top post from December but have some yearly winners coming up.

I think we have to credit the 'success' of the post to the SEO heavy title. F. Scott? NPR? Found poetry? Clint Black? All great search terms. Lesson learned for catchy blog titles.

Also: Randomness -- which may be a clue for what's happening here next year. Lots of randomness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment