Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

365 Poems: Chicken

Day 349

Self-portrait
Coward: A person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

Avoidance, I think, is a symptom of cowardice, of which I have a bad case. Intellectual cowardice, the notes for that poem are sitting in my Google Drive doc right now, waiting, and I'm avoiding them like a virus.

Idea, framework, yea, it's the execution that's got me reading books or folding clothes when a braver writer would have been, well, writing. At least trying.

Does thinking count? Because I've got that covered. Maybe I'll dream something.

Inadequacy. Also a problem. I feel kind of inadequate to finish what I started, what I'm thinking about.

Maybe I should take the lion as an example -- when he needed to be brave he was. He got a medal to help, but he really didn't need it. Maybe if I just pretend to be brave. Pretend to be better than I am. Isn't that the secret of self-confident people? I've faked confidence tons of times. I can fake this.

Even if I'm just faking it to myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment