Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

365 Poems. 2013. Goals. Stupidity. Epiphany. Paths. 2014. Not the end.

Day 365

I won't lie: I was a little depressed about the end of the 365 Poems project.

In case you didn't believe me about the London/Paris thing.
Somehow, it wasn't enough that I'd accomplished my main goal -- posting something, hopefully poetry-related, every day of 2013. Even if sometimes the posts got backdated -- hey, I think I can be forgiven for that week in London (and day in Paris) when being in the moment was more important than documenting it in real time online. And even if everything wasn't poetry, or sometimes even very poetic -- my definition of 'poetic' expanded over the year, for sure.

I wasn't sure if I'd really accomplished anything beyond the every-day thing -- picked up a million blog followers, written the Great American Blog Post, made everyone cry with an original poem, taken a viral Instagram picture. You know, by the standards

Then I realized, duh -- I hate goals! Goals imply an ending, a 'mission accomplished,' a completed project. A nice tidy package.

And blogs are less like one's work life (where they LOVE goals -- and the corresponding ROI) and more like life -- messy and open-ended and, in my case, a decade- (and more) long learning curve.

So, it hit me about 2 a.m. the night before last, that I was thinking as if a calendar year really meant anything -- something more than a flip of the page. I'd built the year thing up in my head like it really mattered. And it didn't. It doesn't. I can celebrate the end of the 365 Poems project -- with its inherent emphasis on holy cow blogging every day! -- and concentrate on something new. And better.

So, that night I came to a place Robert Frost might have recognized:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both 
And be one traveler, long I stood 
And looked down one as far as I could
 To where it bent in the undergrowth;
 Then took the other, as just as fair, 
And having perhaps the better claim....

I've been on the 365 Poems project road. Now I had to choose a path -- keep the project up? Find something new? Quit? (Obviously my woods has more paths than Frost's, haha.) And some paths were 'fairer' than others -- quitting seemed a particularly dark road, maybe analogous to Frost turning about and going back from where he came.

Well, me and Frost: Not quitters. I've chosen a path ahead, and this time, I'm choosing quality over quantity. There are people who can post quality stuff every day, and you know what: Congrats to lucky you. 

So goodbye, pressure to put something up every day, poetic or otherwise. Hello, a commitment to write better, write smarter, write less-that-is-more, and most of all, try to focus every post, not particularly on subject matter -- because believe me, that's going to be all over the place -- but in method and madness.

I'm taking the lesson I learned from the posts I liked the best this year, the ones that were the most fun to write, that often took the longest, and bringing that to this next year's as-yet-unnamed project. Maybe The Chaos Project? To bring together the literary things I like the most, and connect them to the everyday stuff, the pop culture stuff, that we all relate to?

Because I do have a few words to focus on and I think I'm going to work on a new masthead for them. Stuff like: Random. Irreverent. Literary. Fun. Mashup. Serendipity. I do have a goal, I guess. To make

CathyBlogs -- The best damn bad unread blog on the planet.

Ear worm.

1 comment:

  1. johnres9:58 AM

    Well, you can use Long Path Tool, it works good for such problems I will say.

    ReplyDelete