Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

365 Poems: Persistence is genius

Day 324

If I had to a slap a word on the 365 Poems project, that word might be 'persistence,' because when you commit to posting something poetic (tell it slant) every day for a year it's kind of easy to get lazy and say oh who cares I'm not posting today. But then that defeats the entire purpose of the project and feels all bummer loser mediocrity and you open up the laptop and throw something up even if it's stupid or lame or derivative or stolen in an internet kind of way.

Like this from Ira Glass -- on the secret of creativity:


I don't feel like a beginner, for sure. Conversely, I don't feel like particularly experienced, either, even if I am old. Which I am pretty much. Persistence is hard -- just what am I being persistent for? It's easy to be tired and jaded and to-hell-with-it, but then I see something like this and youthful optimism descends and here we are. One more day. One more post. One more.

But what a lucky girl I am. Book club tonight and discussion of A Jane Austen Education by William Deresiewicz.( I learned to have NO PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS from Mr. McGowan teaching us Emma in high school. And I knew I had to be an English major.)
And in the mail, my copy of Raymond Carver: A Writer's Life. As he would say, gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment