Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

365 Poems: 'Everything we do is music'

Day 310

My mind exploded
after reading John Cage.
Well. It's hard to write coherently once you've been introduced to the language poets; I just want to deconstruct myself.

It's beyond learning something new, reading these poets, and studying how they worked; it's mind-blowing, to go all '70s on you -- the idea that language, its syntax and sense, constrains us, and that meaning can be found in deconstructing it.

John Cage is the guy -- maybe better known as a composer? That's a quote from him in the header. He wrote the famous piece 4'33" that's ... silence.


In our ModPo videos, Al Filreis mentioned that people often walked out of performances. But maybe now-a-days that might be different ... we'd all be on our phones. That time would fly by.

He also said: "I have nothing to say / and I am saying it / and that is poetry / as I needed it." 

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason." --John Cage.



No comments:

Post a Comment