Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

365 Poems: Five Things Friday (a day late)

Day 278

A week of reading and writing, which means, a very good week indeed.

1. Watch and ask yourself: Just what am I doing? Certainly I know few people who are really, really doing what they really, really love. But I know lots of people who find a compromise. Is that selling out or settling? I don't know.


2. What I learned this week in history class: 6.5 million people came to the New World in the years from 1492-1849. 5.5 million of them were persons of color. Most of them African slaves. Only 1 million were white Europeans. In other words, a minority. The revisionist history I learned as a kid is scary.

3. Who I read in poetry class: Gertrude Stein. So far. My favorite of hers: 'Let Us Describe.'

4. Celebrating a birthday today, my favorite Hogwarts teacher, Minerva McGonagall. My favorite McGonagall moment is when Harry goes off to find the diadem of Ravenclaw at the battle of Hogwarts and she tells Amycus Carrow, (she is protecting Harry, of course): 'Why would Harry Potter try to get inside Ravenclaw Tower? Potter belongs in my House!'

5. George Takei posted this on Facebook, asking, 'Do you get it?' I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment