Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

365 Poems: Rolling in the deep

Day 260

This is the poem we'll be writing about.
September means back to school, so I signed up for not one but two Coursera courses: Modern and Contemporary American Poetry, and A History of the World Since 1300. There are over 36,000 students in the ModPo course and over 18,000 in the history. That's some big lecture halls.

The history class just launched today. ModPo began last week and I'm playing catch-up since I got started late. But I love it already. The sessions are really, really well done. The forums are lively too -- somehow, the forums make it feel like there are just a normal number of students in class, not a world-wide university. So that's pretty cool.

But I need to write a 500-word essay on Dickinson and Whitman by Sunday, so maybe I won't be so cheerful by then.

Anyone who's ever taken an English course knows that there's 10x as much reading as writing in most classes. So what we have to share here ... may be brief for awhile. Or if not brief, overly literary.

You will be part of my pedagogy.

Have a nice day.


No comments:

Post a Comment