Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

365 Poems: Needing the Mews

Day 246



I thought, ignoramus that I am, that 'mews' was something a cat did. Or something I needed to write a blog post. But of course travel broadens our horizons. And our vocabulary.

A 'mews' is a combined stables, carriage house, and nowadays perhaps a garage. (And I bet there's cats there, too, come to think of it.)

As we walked by this small street on Friday morning, a line of young girls on horseback was exiting, off to ride, I'm guessing, on the horsepaths in Hyde Park.

We also saw the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace; you can tour it, although we didn't.

On the night we took a taxi back from St. Pancras Station, our taxi driver drove us down the Mews, showing us the horses, peering at us from stalls in the dark -- he took great pride in London and enjoyed showing us a bit most people might not find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment