Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

365 Poems: There and back again

Day 240

At the London Elizabeth
Six forty-five a.m. found me awake and still at the London Elizabeth Hotel at Lancaster Gate.

Six forty-five p.m. found me in a car in northern Ohio, driving towards home.

Somewhere between those two places, I gained five hours and four thousand miles.

The Mayflower took 66 days to cross the Atlantic in 1492. I did it at 35,000 feet in

Where I ended up.
six hours in 2013.

If you drive from Toronto, Canada, to Norwalk, Ohio, it takes about six hours. It's only an hour in an Air Canada puddle-jumper, though.

And the hour between Cleveland Hopkins and Norwalk is pretty short, when someone else drives it. You could walk it in a day.

Anyone in logistics knows it's the last mile that's the most costly. The longest part of the day's long journey was the last 150 miles, in my car, from Norwalk to Fort Wayne.

Hyde Park was beautiful. But I drove into a setting sun on a hazy August evening, the lake plain lush and green on either side of me, a gauzy haze clinging to the edges, and it looked like home.






No comments:

Post a Comment