Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

365 Poems: A commonplace book

Day 99

Is this self-referential, or what!?
Happy National Poetry Month -- again!
On Poets.org, there are 30 suggestions for how to celebrate poetry. I love this one: Start a commonplace book. That's kind of what my blog is! One upon a time, I'd have been hiding all this stuff in a journal or one of my (way too many) notebooks. But since I'm a gadget kind of girl, here we are.
Here's what Poets.org has to say about starting a commonplace book:


Since the Renaissance, devoted readers have been copying their favorite poems and quotations into notebooks to form their own personal anthologies called "commonplace books." These collections can be a source of enjoyment and solace, reminding the keeper of favorite books and poems, and can even become family heirlooms. You may devote a corner of a regular journal to jotting down quotes or poems that strike your fancy or obtain a blank book just for this purpose.
As Max W. Thomas says in "Reading and Writing the Renaissance Commonplace Book: A Question of Authorship?", "commonplace books are about memory, which takes both material and immaterial form; the commonplace book is like a record of what that memory might look like. 
Read it all here.

I do have tons of notebooks from pre-tech days -- scraps of poems, full poems, originally bad poems, books to read, authors to read, poems to read -- you get the idea. Oh -- also quotes! Always good inspiration. Here's a teensy example of a quote I just found in an online notebook I squirrel away:


That's exactly what I was thinking in starting this 365 Poems project. Writing (and reading) is what I love, so I'm doing it. And I chose to do it online, and not be afraid of it. Even though I fight that feeling, post after stupid post. If you love something enough, you must be brave enough to be stupid -- even in public.









No comments:

Post a Comment