Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

365 Poems: Recycling Stars

Day 74

(johannawesterman.com)
Today's poetry prompt is from WeWritePoems.com, and the theme is 'epiphanies,' one of my favorite words! Here are their demands instructions for writing a centro poem:
Since we’re already in the mindset for epiphanies, this week let’s turn the tables and look outward – not epiphany moments of your own experience, but moments you’ve read in other writers' poems. Assemble a collection of these. Really try to identify the precise line or phrase that carried the energy and revelation. This is going to be a “cento” collection of such moments, so leave out the background words, get to the core. Even if at risk of being less clear in the whole – focus, focus on the specific phrase that spoke to you. Once you have your collection of lines/phrases, then your task is to reassemble them into a new working poem.
 So ... okay. My kind of mash-up! I've spend a good part of the evening gathering favorite lines from favorite poems.* And the result:

Recycling Stars

First, the Wonder

This morning was something.
Of cloudless climes and starry skies,
Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art —
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
I may have even thanked him habit being so strong;
I loafe and invite my soul,
I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass.
Daughter, believe
me, when you tire on the long thrash
to your island, lie up, and survive.

Then, Reality

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
It is terrible to survive
as consciousness
buried in the dark earth.
-- and then I could not see to see
My heart in hiding.

Next, Imagination

And some folk thought 'twas a dream they'd dreamed
Of sailing that beautiful sea;
I want to know only that things gather themselves
with great patience, that they do this forever.
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Finally, what else? Love

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

*Poets recycled include (alphabetical order):
Philip Booth
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Jared Carter
Raymond Carver
Emily Dickinson
Eugene Field 
Robert Frost
Louis Gluck
George Gordon, Lord Byron
Gerard Manley Hopkins
John Keats
William Shakespere
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Walt Whitman

Here's some fun. Match poets to their lines, and identify the poem the line is from.

No comments:

Post a Comment