Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

365 Poems: Harry gets new art & Downton, treated shabby

Day 47

Papal resignations, meetings, holidays, and visitors do not creativity nurture. Luckily we have the internet to support us. And we proceed knowing that poetic inspiration is just around any pixel.

Thanks again, Harry

Of course, Harry provided the inspiration for a poem earlier this week. Now, for the 15th anniversary of publication, Scholastic announced new covers for all the books. Love this first one for Sorcerer's Stone.
Is there poetry in Potter? Oh yea. How about the Sorting Hat? What it says kind of gets lost in the movies, but not in the book. This is a particularly important passage from Order of the Phoenix:

But this year I'll go further,
listen closely to my song:
though condemned I am to split you
still I worry that it's wrong,

Though I must fulfill my duty
and must quarter every year
still I wonder whether sorting
may not bring the end I fear.

Oh, know the perils, read the signs,
the warning history shows,
for our Hogwarts is in danger
from external, deadly foes

And we must unite inside her
or we'll crumble from within
I have told you, I have warned you...
let the Sorting now begin.

Remember when Harry asks what it means, and Hermione (of course) answers him, It means the Ministry of Magic is interfering in Hogwarts? And things go downhill from there.

Downton, treated shabby

If Downton Abbey was getting all the love through the beginning of this season, it's now accused of being soap opera and jumping the shark. I suspect hipsters and pay them no mind. In the vernacular, haters gotta hate.

Here's a bargain at about $11 and really fun reading: 'Downton Abbey: The Complete Scripts, Season One.' Just what it says -- except it includes bits that were edited out, and includes commentary by Julian Fellowes. Season Two is coming in October.

Finally, catch this interview with Dame Maggie Smith. She's never watched her own show. But I'm loving her real hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment