Monday, January 28, 2013

365 Poems: Search for the City of Light

Day 27


Photo by mutrock via Creative Commons
Windows. Imagination. Bravado.

Search for the City of Light

Sometimes
on cloudy nights
in winter
from the windows 
of my house
that face east
I see light.

And I know
if I got in my car
and drove down
Covington Road
past the cemetary
and over the interstate
behind the shopping center
through the messy
intersection,
turning left at
Time Corners

I would join
the light traffic
on
West Jefferson Boulevard
drive past the 
shopping center
around a curve
behind the houses
of Wildwood Place
pass by Lindenwood
and the little park
called Rockhill
go under the old railroad line --

Drive past Main Street
around Swinney Park
over the bridge
and the St. Mary’s,
sweep by the tennis courts
pass through the old city
now West Central,
and finally 
downtown.

And -- if only I could! --
Turn down Barr Street,
then Berry,
and park at the
historic
empire-inspired
Lincoln Tower
admire the entrance
and the murals
take the elevator
then climb the stairs
to to the almost secret
and usually closed
observation tower.

Now.
Really!
Look.

Finally
unexpectedly
even defiantly

We’ve found

Fort Wayne,
city of light.


No comments:

Post a Comment