Saturday, January 5, 2013

365 Poems: I heard a Phone buzz

Day 5

Yesterday I posted the imitation poem I wrote for fun for the Gotham Writer's Workshop class discussion. Today, here's what I turned in for the 'official' assignment. The poem I imitated -- Emily Dickinson's 'I heard a Fly buzz,' follows, just for reference.

I heard a Phone buzz


I heard a Phone buzz -- when I died --
The Stillness in the Room
Disturbed -- by this small Storm --
A Soul paused, perched to soar --
Two spirits danced about the Space --
Yet only I could see
The face of He Who made us --
His partner, crass Curiosity --
Small Keepsake -- long contracted --
With a cloud Life hidden inside --
A bee-buzz made assignable
But No one there -- to notify --
Cold fingers -- reach to empty air --
A last Want, unfulfilled --
One quiet breath -- Then His voice --
My child -- you shall not text, then die.



I heard a Fly buzz


by Emily Dickinson


I heard a Fly buzz – when I died –
The Stillness in the Room
Was like the Stillness in the Air –
Between the Heaves of Storm –
The Eyes around – had wrung them dry –
And Breaths were gathering firm
For that last Onset – when the King
Be witnessed – in the Room –
I willed my Keepsakes – Signed away
What portions of me be
Assignable – and then it was
There interposed a Fly –
With Blue – uncertain stumbling Buzz –
Between the light – and me –
And then the Windows failed – and then
I could not see to see –

No comments:

Post a Comment