Monday, October 1, 2012

UPDATED: You've got my cell phone, so call me, maybe?


PICTURE REMOVED: The person has been identified.


UDPATE: The person who took my cell phone has been identified. More here.

Hey, I just met you,
(Through your uploaded pictures to my Dropbox account)
And this is crazy,
But you've got my stolen cell phone,
So call me, maybe?

It's hard to look right
At your pictures of your baby,
You've got my number AND my stolen cell phone,
So call me, maybe?

I don't want to meet you,
And seriously, you're crazy,
Cos I'm seein' your pictures,
And I have Twitter and lots of Ft. Wayne friends, baby.

And all my friends they,
Retweet me like crazy,
But you've got my number,
So call me, maybe?

Before you came in to my life
I loved my cell phone so much
I loved it so so much
And now I'm lookin' at pictures
Of YOUR baby, and you've got my cell phone,
SO CALL ME DAMMIT.

On Friday, September 28, 2012, my cell phone was stolen from the Grand Wayne Center in downtown Fort Wayne. It was disabled on Saturday morning. Wifi, however, still works, and when my new (not) best friends began to take pictures with it, they were uploaded automatically to my cloud storage. I'm leaving that connection enabled in hopes it will help me get my phone back. Do you know these people? I just want my phone back. I'm not even that mad. Just call me, maybe.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:00 PM

    Plan B is the 'find my phone' app that you download AFTER you lose your phone. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried it, didn't work, but thanks!

      Delete
  2. Did you have your phone set to put location in the images? If so check the EXIF data of the uploads. Might have the location info as latitude and longitude. If you're not sure, it's worth checking. Try XnView, or google "exif image location viewer" for an online tool. If it's Android look into "Plan B" or similar, which can be installed remotely via the Play Store desktop browser interface. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Location was not included in the metadata, unfortunately. I looked first thing.

      Delete
  3. If you got location services enabled on that phone, its very likely that the location those pictures were taken at can be found in the EXIF data in the image files on your Dropbox.

    So I'd look into that first to narrow down the whereabouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:41 AM

    Please go to the security settings in Dropbox and highlight the device. This will show the last IP Address for the device. Please post this, I might be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is not enabled for mobile devices.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:44 AM

    You should enable the phone and send them pics of themselves then texts asking for your phone back..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that's a good idea, somehow.

      Delete
  6. I'm a friend of Carla Gould's. Am sharing this on my FB account and asking people to pass this around. Maybe someone recognizes them, and will call you ... maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually the person was identified through the temp agency they work for.

      Delete
  7. wouldn't the pictures on your dropbox contain exif data? you may have some luck finding the phone by extracting the location data from the original images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not, but thanks!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:21 AM

    If the identity of the thief is now known, why not publicize it along with their picture? Maybe even include ID's of everyone in the photos and any information on them like addresses and employers. I'd think that would get some movement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:07 AM

    "Not Vindictive"- sounds pretty selfish to me. When this guy steals his next phone, don't you have ANY empathy for his next victim? He'll probably be smarter about iCloud, too. Congratulations, you are producing a smarter criminal. You should feel proud, since you can congratulate yourself on being "not vindictive."

    ReplyDelete