Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why old media is going to die, and I won't care

Because of attitudes like Frank Gray's.
Read his "Twitter on edge of uselessness" in today's Journal-Gazette.

I'm a grown-up. I'm even a grown-up of Frank Gray's vintage. And I get Twitter. I've never thought it accurate when people call it a "micro-blogging" site. (Gray probably doesn't like blogs, either.) It's not blogging. It's more like text messaging marries instant messaging. Only instead of being limited to your contact list, you can send your information to...the world. As the recent developments in Iran proved.

Really, I never follow the Twitter main feed--that truly is Too Much Information. But following friends, contacts, media, news sources, and God forbid, the occasional celebrity--is interesting, fun, and even--often!--a learning experience.

On my personal Twitter, I may direct my updates to family and friends, and these may be of the "Here we are eating ice cream variety" that no who doesn't share my DNA would be interested in. But I also tweet interesting articles, especially social media, tech, or local stuff I find, to a wide variety of followers who have found me though my Fort Wayne locator or maybe a hash tag subject search.

And as the main tweeter for my company, I update several times daily, with changing information from our web site, breaking stories, stories from the web, links, and retweets.

So when I read a Twitter-slamming diatribe (and there are so many, and so often from print media types), it's as annoying as when my Internet connection dies. And it's the easy way out for traditional journalism ("I don't understand it, I don't like it, it's stupid, I can't imagine why anyone is using it") (Yea, that really makes me want to keep reading YOUR paper. Even when it makes it to my delivery tube.)

I still read the local daily newspapers. But I know their days are numbered...especially when the very people who should be breaking their asses to keep them alive refuse to embrace the methods and technologies that just might do that.

I'm starting to think I'm not even going to miss them when they are gone.

1 comment:

  1. Cathy,

    I've discovered that it's not age but attitude that determines if someone will be a naysayer.

    With the growth of television, the prediction of the death of radio was everywhere. (So I am told, I'm much too young).

    However in my business, advertising, media, marketing and sales, I have found too many people who should be investigating and embracing the user-friendly technology that could reinvent and save their livelihood. Instead, it will be the few who take bold steps forward instead of turning up their noses at what is coming who will survive and thrive.

    ReplyDelete