Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The TINCAPS???!!! God save us from Atlanta ad agencies

FortWayne.com : Fort Wayne news, sports, jobs, homes, cars: "The Fort Wayne Wizards shall now be known as the Fort Wayne TinCaps, the Midwest League minor league baseball club announced this morning."

I am, and try to be, an optimist, a positive person, a glass-half-full kind of girl, a supportive citizen, a tolerant human being. I have a great interest in local history, and enjoy learning about our region's past. I'm also a baseball fan.

I've also worked as a writer, editor, marketer, and web administrator.

And I am so sorry about this, but...

...I think the name "TinCaps" is the dumbest name ever for any kind of sport team. I hate the logo, too. Why not just shout: HERE'S A LOW-A BACKWOODS BASEBALL TEAM BURIED WITH THE RUBES IN THE MIDWEST?

Even if the team is playing in a brand-new, trendy, downtown, wanna-be sophisticated stadium?

I mean, really, a team with this name should just stay playing in the Concrete Coliseum--you can practically throw a baseball to Johnny's grave from there, anyway--which he is probably ROLLING IN RIGHT NOW!

It's unbelievable that this is the name the former Wizards are going to be burdened with.

Thanks a lot, Sky Design from Atlanta and Hardball Capitol. In your zeal to create a team identity that is marketable and profitable, you've managed to embarrass and alienate an entire community of baseball fans. Did you conduct EVEN ONE marketing survey in Fort Wayne, or test this name AT ALL with ANY kind of Fort Wayne baseball-fan demographic?

I'm guessing ... NOT.

Will a bad name keep our family away from games? Probably not. We care about the game, not the window dressing. Will I be buying a new t-shirt? Definitely not.

NOT EVEN JOHNNY APPLESEED REALLY WORE A TIN CAP!

[Later thought]: I'm sure I'll think of many things that are bothering me about this, but here's the first one:

How could any ad agency worth its retainer not take into considerations the negative connotations of the word "tin"? What do YOU think of when you hear the word "tin"? Tinny? Tin can? Tin pan alley?
I know two things I DON'T think of: Johnny Appleseed, and baseball

[More thoughts]: And I didn't even THINK of the "potheads" reference! (Or any of the other possible *heads references...doody-head, bobble-head, air-head, etc.) And the headline I just saw on the local section of msnbc.com: "60 Lbs Of Marijuana Seized Along US 27". No kidding.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:54 PM

    Agreed. It's embarassing. This new name was just announced a few hours ago and we already have an AKA...Fort Wayne PotHeads. That's a fantastic reputation to carry around our community. Give me a break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:20 PM

    I couldn't agree with you more. When I heard whispers of the possible name for our new team (being a Fort Wayne born-and-raised citizen, myself), I shook my head. Are you serious?! The fact that the newspaper itself had to sub-head the story with "It's a Johnny Appleseed reference" is proof enough that this is a stretch. And I completely agree with the post above - did the big brains in Atlanta not even THINK about the "pot head" reference? Please. This is just sad. I'd like to know why a Fort Wayne agency wasn't given the chance to handle this. I'd like to take a look at the agency's research...or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:13 PM

    I think you are all wrong. I think the name is historic and ties directly to our area. The logo is also very kid-friendly. In addition, the apple theme ties in with being health-conscious. But then again, I don't expect anyone in Ft. Wayne to like it. They are the least open-minded people I have ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean, that's one person's opinion, but aren't you just a backwoods, midwest rube?

    I thought the Montgomery Biscuits would be a bad idea, but they've made a killing in merchandising since they rebranded! Plus their fans still show up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will F5:13 PM

    I mean, that's one person's opinion, but aren't you just a backwoods, midwest rube?

    I thought the Montgomery Biscuits would be a bad idea, but they've made a killing in merchandising since they rebranded! Plus their fans still show up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will F5:14 PM

    Oh! You have to approve comments... Got it.

    ReplyDelete