Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

RFK: Don't remind me

On-scene newsman recalls RFK's shooting - RFK: 40 Years Later- msnbc.com: "Sen. Robert Kennedy was assassinated just after midnight on June 5, 1968, at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles."

Please, don't "celebrate" this anniversary.

Don't remind me that on this June night 40 years ago, a young man died in an LA hotel, and what it meant to this country that he was gone.

Don't take me back to being 12, and rub raw the memory of a world gone mad. For what else was a kid who grew up in the '60 supposed to think? That presidents who have little kids are shot, that violent protests and riots in cities are normal, that a body count on the news every night is of real peoples' sons and dads and brothers, that men with dreams who stand on mountaintops are shot off of balconies, and you turn around and here's another one -- ANOTHER ONE! NOT ANOTHER ONE! even my 12-year-old brain screamed -- shot and dead and what were kids supposed to think?

Please quit dragging this anniversaries out one by one, for I just can't relive another assassination, another Monterrey, another war, another summer-of-anything-but-love event.

Back in the '60s, nobody sent counselors to elementary schools to help little kids understand bad things. We just had to get over it, mostly by ourselves, because our parents couldn't make any sense of it, either. Still can't. We just turn the page. Don't make me turn it back.

2 comments:

  1. Nice take on this, Cathy. Don't call it a celebration; call it a reminder of events to never be repeated.

    Especially this year, we must not let the past repeat once more. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,

    I agree with John, however, I really appreciate these anniversaries, especially as a man who was not around during this time period. For me, it reminds me of greatness. It reminds me that "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

    ReplyDelete