Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I don't normally believe these warnings, but...

Greg Shoup also blogged about it, so I'll keep a "weather eye" on the situation. (Keeping my regular eye on things like clearance racks, wine on sale, and is-it-time-to-go-home-yet). Whenever I hear about "two systems merging," it gets a little of my attention, since that also happened in the Famous Blizzard, but again, if I were to forecast I'd say, "Possible flurry with a gust of wind ending up in a rain shower and two-hour delays due to trepidation."


National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary: "A STRONG UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED STATES WILL EJECT OUT INTO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS SATURDAY IN ADVANCE OF ANOTHER STRONG UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE DROPPING THROUGH THE NORTHERN ROCKIES. THESE TWO SYSTEMS WILL MERGE OVER THE GREAT LAKES AND OHIO VALLEY SUNDAY...LEADING TO A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE GREAT LAKES SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY."

Oh I really must mention this. Spent three days in New York City, that sophisticated Gotham of civilization. You know, center of the universe, lots of exciting stuff happening, crime, etc. etc.

Guess what their lead stories where for all three days? The WEATHER. I'll never complain about our local news in quite the same way again, because they did THE EXACT SAME KIND OF STORIES -- including what was getting sprayed on the roads to keep them from getting icy -- down to school delays, "how are you dealing with these temperatures (Monday)/this snow (Tuesday)," to "and now we'll turn to Joe Weatherman for more details about how much of the white stuff we'll get."

I felt right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment