Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Smoke visible from Roanoke

Fire engulfs zoo site | The Journal Gazette: "Witnesses told The Journal Gazette that the smoke, which formed a funnel-like shape before dissipating quickly, could be seen as far from the city as the intersection of Interstate 69 and U.S. 24."

It could be seen further than that.

After I left work yesterday about 4:30, I was closing in on Roanoke under a beautiful clear blue sky when I noticed something weird--one strange, flat dark cloud ahead of me. I couldn't help but wonder what it was--and actually thought, I hope that's not a fire.

Ten minutes later, my cell rang--Angela with the news "the zoo is on fire!" (She was reacting to a text she had from Channel 15 with no details.)

Well, the zoo was not on fire, and the smoke was worse than the damage, but that was one strange cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment