Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2007

This is what pisses me off about the new baseball stadium

And remember, we are baseball fans. And I'm all for some kind of downtown renovation--as long as it's renovation that lives in the realities of 2007 Ft. Wayne, and looks ahead to what a downtown might need to be/want to be in the future, not constructed with some nostalgic eye on the mythical Ft. Wayne downtown of 1958, or whenever--a downtown that is dead, gone, and not gonna ever happen again. The German Gardens or whatever and L.S. Ayers ARE NOT COMING BACK. EVER.

News-Sentinel.com: "It will cost about $2.2 million to demolish the stadium, erect a utility building and to pave the site for additional parking, (Randy) Brown said – a cost also expected to be covered by food, beverage and sports taxes."
Okay, kids, do we remember how the stadium was constructed in the first place? Good old food and beverage tax. And since I eat a lot of said food, and drink a modest amount of said beverage, the thought of it being destroyed by the wrecking ball makes me like staging a sit-in in section 108.
Out of defeated curiosity, I Googled for the cost of Memorial Stadium, and what do I find but this post from Libertarian Mike Sylvester:

"I will be interested in seeing how long it will take our elected officials to announce that they are tearing down Memorial Stadium and then expanding the parking lot of the Memorial Coliseum.

"Here are a couple of interesting facts about Memorial Stadium:

"1. As of 12/31/06 it was valued as a 10.49 million dollar asset. This asset is carried on Allen County's books.

"2. The current cost of demolishing the stadium and expanding the parking lost is 2.2 million dollars.

"When the existing stadium is demolished a whole lot of Fort Wayne residents will be highly upset. I also imagine many people will be upset when 2.2 million tax dollars are used to demolish something that has been in place for less then 20 years.

"What a joke."

Oh my God, I'm turning Libertarian on myself, because Mike is right on, except for one thing: I don't think enough of the hoi poloi have let Our Elected Officials know how much this infuriates us.

The MOST infuriating thing about it, is the casualness of the way Randy Brown, Graham Richards, and others of their ilk mention tearing down the old stadium--as if it were a set of bleachers at the old Carrington Field. As if this is just no big deal.

As if! MY TAX DOLLARS NOT ONLY WENT INTO BUILDING THE FRICKIN' THING, BUT NOW ARE GOING TO GO INTO TEARING A STILL VIABLE STADIUM DOWN, AND THEN MORE OF MY NEWLY ANNEXED TAX DOLLARS ARE GOING TO GO INTO BUILDING A STATE OF THE ART STADIUM FOR A LOW A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM IN A DOWNTOWN NOBODY GOES TO ANYWAY.

The way Brown throws that $2.2 million out there to TEAR IT DOWN!!! I mean, how long could you keep it going by putting $2.2 million in a trust fund and having IPFW, Indiana Tech, USF, high schools, travel teams, summer tournaments play there?

I know IPFW looked at this, and found it unfeasible. But out of many...one.

What the heck. After my 62% property tax increase, I'm not going to be able to afford eating at home, much less going to Wizards games, even on buck hotdog night.

2 comments:

  1. Amen and amen.

    Before this year, I used to attend a Wizards game once or twice a year ... minor-league baseball has its charms. However, after we've been sold by our local politicos to Hardball Capital (and is that a perfect name or what?), the idea of giving them any sort of aid, comfort, or a single worthless dollar is nauseating to me. As long as the Wizards' current ownership lasts, not only do I pledge never to hold down a seat at the downtown place, I'm also all done at Memorial Stadium. To darkest Hell with all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:11 PM

    I, on the other hand, am planning on becoming a season ticket holder once Harrison Square opens.

    ReplyDelete