Pages

Monday, July 9, 2007

Firelands Winery -- Sandusky, Ohio
Here's where we spent some time last Wednesday--a beautiful little place, not far from the lake (for you Hoosiers, in northern Ohio when we say "the lake," we mean Lake Erie--unlike here in northern Indiana, where when someone says "the lake," you have to ask, "oh, which one?)
Northern Ohio wines are getting better and better. Although, I have to admit, the best one I bought was a moscato d'asti from Italy! I couldn't resist it!
Firelands does a great tasting for just $1--we tasted seven wines, including the moscato. The other six were locals. I ended up buying three bottles, two locals and the moscato.
They also have wine-inspired gifts.
They sell wines from several local wineries, plus some imports, obviously.
My palate is not very sophisticated, I'm sorry to say. I have too much of a sweet tooth. Very dry wines are hard for me to enjoy, as are very oaky wines--I'm really sensitive to tannins. So a sweet white, a mild red--I'm good with that. Luckily, the grapes of northern Ohio do those really well.
If you go to Cedar Point, check out Firelands Winery. It's on the west side of Sandusky, CP being on the eastern edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment