Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

40 years ago, Sgt. Pepper taught a band to play - Music - MSNBC.com

"...the Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” considered one of the greatest albums of all time, soon will celebrate its 40th anniversary (it was released in the UK on June 1, 1967, and a day later in the U.S.). In the context of its time, “Sgt. Pepper” was a head-turning marvel. It trod new sonic territory with its experimental use of multi-track recording, with its unconventional orchestrations, with its lyrical impact both playful and profound, with its dazzling cover art and with the very sequence of the songs."

As old as I am, and I am seeming really old to me, I was only 11 when Sgt. Pepper came out. So the songs are here are/were always "oldies" to me--with parents with no interest in rock n roll, no older siblings to influence me, and limited TV exposure to The Beatles. The songs I remember as "new" are Hey Jude, Long and Winding Road, and, of all things, Come Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment