Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Pioneer astronaut Wally Schirra dies at 84 - Space News - MSNBC.com: "SAN DIEGO - Astronaut Walter M. 'Wally' Schirra Jr., one of the original Mercury Seven astronauts and the only man to fly in all three of NASA's earliest manned spaceships, has died at the age of 84, NASA officials confirmed Thursday."

Maybe if someone would reel off the names of the Challenger astronauts, young people would recognize them. But if you grew up in the '60s, you know who Wally Schirra is, and Scott Carpenter, and John Glenn. I grew up with the space program, and with the people -- mostly men -- who made it happen. So I am said to see Mr. Schirra has died.

But what makes me happy--watching the NASA channel today, and seeing and hearing so many women working in the control room, and as astronauts. I might not know their names, but I appreciate that they're there!

No comments:

Post a Comment