Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2007

PR Newswire - A United Business Media Company: "The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) announced today that it has reached an agreement with SUPERVALU to acquire its 18 Scott's Food & Pharmacy stores in northeast Indiana."

This is bad news for Ft. Wayne grocery shoppers. I was a Kroger fan for a long time, shopping at the Village at Coventry store, but it was so poorly managed I haven't been there in months. Poor customer service was my main complain. Too little help, I'd start bagging my own groceries, and employees would walk right by and never offer to help. And the cashiers were so poorly trained it was unbelievable. They had a stunning number of sullen high-schoolers at the checkout.

Of course, for many years I had been a Scott's shopper, back when Scott's was the area's discount grocer. I often chuckle that Scott's has over the years become the area's upscale grocer! How's THAT happen!

Now, Kroger owns Scott's. I predict a number of store closings, plus a general downward trend of quality in the Scott's stores. Too bad!

Trader Joe's, PLEASE, come to Ft. Wayne!

No comments:

Post a Comment