Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Book List
Book club last night. Our book was Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her by Melanie Rehak. In my bookworminess, I was not a big Nancy Drew fan--I was into Bobbsey Twins and the Five Little Peppers (among many other things!). This book is about the publishing syndicate that created not just the Nancy Drew series, but the Hardy Boys, Trixie Bledsoe and others, including the Bobbseys. Of course I had known for some time that more than one person worked on each series; this book is a biography of the gentleman who founded the syndicate that published the books, and of his daughter, who took over the business after his death, and the main ghostwriter, a woman, who worked on dozens of Nancy Drew books. Really good stuff--included everything from the history of publishing in the U.S. to the growth of the rights and choices of women to how to write.
Our next book is Everything Bad is Good for You by Steven Johnson. I've started it a little and like it already--instead of decrying the time we spend in front of computers, TVs, video games, etc., this book champions how much smarter these new activities are making us. I like that idea.
I'm collecting quite a stack of books for the summer. The sequel to Wicked, called Son of a Witch. A book about the great influenza epidemic after WWI (yea, light reading, huh?). I've never read the original OZ books, so I bought the first one of that. And Janet Evanovich is coming out with Lean Mean Thirteen of the Stephanie Plum series, best beach reading ever. And of course, I'll be visiting the Deathly Hallows in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment