Pages

Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Common Sensibilities Redux - I feel bad about my neck
I really DO feel a little bad about my neck, because over the course of a year of weight loss, I developed something of a wattle...my mom does not have a wattle, my sisters do not have wattles, and I am not very happy that I now have one. But I can't imagine undergoing major surgery to fix it!
But, what the title of this post refers to is, the Nora Ephron book, I Feel Bad About My Neck. I'm reading it, and it's just a hoot! You can read an excerpt by clicking here. She takes on necks, aging, cooking, maintainence (of onesself) and more in this short read. Nora is right on...especially about the neck thing.
Also, Angela gave me a B&N gift certificate for my birthday, and I bought the last of the Lemony Snicket series: The End. The Baudelaire orphans, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny, after 12 books full of unfortunate, dangerous, perilous, and often unbelievable events, have come to the end of their journey here in Book 13. So far, they are stuck on a very weird island (is there any other kind of place in this series?), with very weird people. Things aren't as they seem (of course). And (of course) good ole Count Olaf is around with both his harpoon gun and his jar of poisonous fungus. I am not very hopeful that the end of this series will be any more cheerful than the beginning or the middle...but the language is so great, the wit so droll, and the character of Sunny so perfectly drawn, I can't quit reading, despite Mr. Snicket's warnings.
I just finished March, by Geraldine Brooks. I don't know if you would categorize this as historical fiction...although, it's based on a fictional character (Mr. March of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women), who in turn is based on her father, Bronson Alcott. And, the book takes place during the Civil War, which of course, really happened, unless you live in the South, where The War Between the States happened. I was ready NOT to like it, given that I have read all the Alcott books many many times, but, it turned out to be a quick, enjoyable read. I could have done without the imagined romance, though. I really, really don't think Father March would EVER have cheated on Marmee.
I'm shopping now for On Beauty, by Zadie Smith. It's our January book club pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment