Pages

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Common Sensibilities Redux - The book meme
Reading Room
I stole this "meme" from Amy Welborn's blog...she'd been tagged. I haven't, but it's so fun to think about, I thought I'd give it a shot.

1. One book that changed your life:
The Bobbsey Twins on the Farm. This was a Sunday-School Christmas-exchange gift when I was in third grade. (I even remember who gave it to me--Terry Knudsen. I heard he became a preacher.) It's the first book I ever read totally for pleasure, and turned me into the bookworm I am today.

2. One book that you've read more than once:
...And Ladies of the Club
by Helen Hooven Santmeyer. It's long, it's full of life, and I learn something about human nature every time I read it. It's sad and funny and full of history, too. And it's set in Ohio.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Complete Works of Shakespeare
, of course. One with good footnotes, to explain the stuff I don't get.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Any one book in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Start with One for the Money. They are just a hoot.

5. One book that made you cry:
Old Yeller
by Fred Gipson. Every. Single. Time. Why did I read it more than once?

6. One book that you wish had been written:
The Great American Novel, of course.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I have NEVER been able to read it.

8. One book you're currently reading:
Ron Faust's Lord of the Dark Lake. I'm reading all his books this summer and having a blast.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Capote: A Biography by Gerald Clarke. On my nightstand. I got sidetracked by all the Faust stuff. I've also been meaning to re-read In Cold Blood, which scared the bejesus out of me in high school. I never have seen the movie based on the book, for that reason. I did see "Capote"-the-movie starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman: very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment