Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

TV goes retro!

In our livingroom is a new 42-Samsung DLP TV! Woo-hoo! Greg is in his element as he navigates menu after menu, plugs stuff in and out and in different plugs, and watches game after game in digital splendor.
A phone call to Dish Network yesterday reveals that to upgrade to HD Dish will cost $99 for a new receiver, and $9.99 a month for whatever HD channels Dish offers, the main one of which we want is ESPN. Plus, Dish does NOT yet offer local channels off the dish. The person I spoke to on the phone said, get an antenna!
So, saving the $100+ dollars in anticipation of Verizon offering total TV through our fiber optic connection sometime next year, I went to Walmart and bought a $20 antenna.
After I took it home in the afternoon, Greg went to work and in 10 minute we were watching all our locals in HD, plus the extra channels they've launched like UPN, and three weather channels and radar, which we did not have before. Awesome! And free!
And, it's pretty easy to switch using ONE remote between the antenna channels and the satellite channels.
Oh, and in hooking up the antenna, it enabled us to use the picture-in-picture feature, so now we can watch TWO things at once. So, theoretically, I could watch two TV shows, listen to my MP3 player, and work on my laptop, simultaneously. But I might pass out from info overload!
In celebration of the new TV, a Super Bowl party is at hand! I'm planning food and seating--I'm afraid we will have more guests than seats!

No comments:

Post a Comment