Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Of little women and Christmas
From The Writer's Almanac:
It's the birthday of Louisa May Alcott, born in Germantown, Pennsylvania (1832), but brought up in Concord, Massachusetts, among the Transcendentalists, of which her father was one. She's remembered now for Little Women, which she didn't care for at all and found the writing of tedious. In her journal she wrote, "I plod away, though I don't enjoy this sort of thing." She much preferred writing lurid, Gothic stories, about women who sold their souls to the devil, and governesses who looked sweet and innocent by daylight but who ruined the souls of little children by night, which she published under several pen names. Her publishers offered her more money if she would agree to publish under her own name, but she could not bring herself to embarrass her father and his colleague, Ralph Waldo Emerson. To a friend, she wrote: "To have had Mr. Emerson for an intellectual god all one's life is to be invested with a chain armor of propriety."
Despite what Louisa said, Little Women is one of my top-five favorite books; I reread it regularly and find something new each time. My first copy was a little abridged version I ordered from Scholastic in elementary school; I must have two or three other copies.I still have the first one, a very dog-eared, pink, beat-up friend.

It's the holiday season
No decorations up yet at home, but that will soon change. My cubicle at work is decorated...I have two small trees, and some other items I've collected or been given over the years here. Tomorrow my cublicle neighbors and I are going shopping at Big Lots for some lighted garland; we're going to swag it on the outside of our cubicle walls.
Hey, GO COLTS. A highly anticipated game last night definitely went the Colts way. Our phone was ringing steadily with commentary from various family members, even Sister Sue, who is slowly being converted to the Manning camp! I had to go to bed not long after the second half began (although it seemed they were well in control even at that point); first thing this a.m. I checked the score to great relief.
I love spring. Especially in November. After absolutely frigid temps and even snow on Thanksgiving and Shopping Friday (is there anywhere colder than an outdoor mall [Crocker Park]?); it was downright balmy yesterday. Still not bad this morning, but I think we've seen the high for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment