Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2005

The voices in my head
Here's why I love my mp3 player. It is the same size as a credit card and inside it are at the moment 42 of my favorite songs and room for more. Plus the radio. I put the headphones deep in my ears and turn the volume up to 30 which is way too loud and I don't care. And when I hear the music it is not in my ears but in the middle of my head, as if the song were being song in my brain by my brain. If I were a really good person I would be listening to Water Music or Air on the G String or at the least classic hymns. Since I am not I am listening to Mace, Outkast, Maroon 5, Nelly with Tim McGraw, Big and Rich, etc., etc. When no one is watching I might even dance. When no one is listening I might even sing along. Maybe tomorrow I will start listening to opera but today I am listening to Hoobastank.

A new phone
It is awesome. Picked it up last night at FedEx, it's a 5.8 gigaherz Panasonic base station with answering machine. Call me and leave a message, I will be able to hear you really clearly! Unlike the old 2.4 gighertz phone, which was staticy and had a weak battery, plus, I fear, interfered with the wireless network, and we can't have that. The great thing about this Panasonic phone is that it's expandable--I get up to four more phones to match. They act as intercoms, too.

Last night

J. over. He and Papa deep into various games. Papa drug out his old sports board games, we figure they are 35 years old or so! Golf and football; he also has baseball. I was messing with the computers--after speaking with GP yesterday at work about how networking had failed on the Win98se desktop, I discovered that it was working once again. Go figure! So I messed around with the NetDisk--trying to get it to work on the desktop through the USB port; after updating the driver, the admin tool recognized it was there, but I could not see it in Windows Explorer. So I re-networked it and it was fine again. Go figure. Win98 drives me crazy, I really must update that OS. Took J. home about 8. C. not feeling 100%; A. mentioned she had a small temp earlier; she seemed cranky. No new TV; can't be delivered until Wed. afternoon. Watching the cracked one, though!

Reading room
Finished Wired, as I may have said; just stunning drug use...I wonder how any of those people survived. What a waste of talent! Now on to Metro Girl (an Evanovich book); rather derivative of her Stephanie Plum series, but a fun read. Must get back on A Fine Balance; needs to be done in two weeks for book club.

Deep from the brains of others
They were so strong in their beliefs that there came a time when it hardly mattered what exactly those beliefs were; they all fused into a single stubbornness. -- Louise Erdrich
It is never too late to be what you might have been. -- George Eliot

Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude to the whole cosmos - the trees, the clouds, everything. -- Thich Nhat Hanh More tsunami help links on:
USA Freedom Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment