Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2005

I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up. -- Tom Lehrer

Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly.-- Plutarch

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all. -- Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science, section 41

John 1: The Word Became Flesh (NIV)
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood[a] it. [Read it at www.biblegateway.com.]

[Ed. note: don't you love an entry quoting Plutrach, Nietzsche, and the Gospel of John!]

Adventurous travel
I forgot my first rule of bad-weather work commuting yesterday: wait to leave until it gets light. Consequently, I found myself staring at a car coming straight at me on Covington Road yesterday morning (they, stupidly, were passing a wreck on their side of the road--where did they think I was supposed to go?). I had to drive in the grass!

Obviously I survived and this morning, waited until 7:45 to leave, at which time I could see. Roads were again slushy and slick but I had no troubles.

Finally a night last night of staying home! And what exciting activities we had to engage in! Whoa boy, just listen: dinner cooking! Dinner cleanup! Tote-bag-changing! Computer surfing! Program updates! (Note: a new version of Trillian is available for those of you who have IM friends of various mediums and don't want to run ICQ AND AOL AND Yahoo Messenger AND MSN. Visit: www.ceruleanstudios.com.) Must nicer interface--reminds me a lot of Yahoo, actually, and emoticons seemed to be working.

Heard a story on NPR (www.npr.org) this a.m. about the Firefox browser --seems millions are downloading and using, and actually taking a (small) bite out of the IE monolith. I know I'm one of them--loved that tabbed browsing!

Reading List
Picked up A Fine Balance once again last night. I'm only about 1/4 finished so I'll have to read fast to have it done by book club on the 18th. Metro Girl (Evanovich) was pretty good--kind of got wrapped up fast at the end. But a painless read.

No comments:

Post a Comment