Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2004

Tuesday: warmish, rainy, suddenly sunny, windy
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. -- Albert Einstein
Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily this is not difficult. -- Charlotte Whitton, Canada Month, June 1963
In the stacks by Cathy's bed: A Fine Balance by ROHINTON MISTRY
I'm surprised by how much I like it--I think because the last book I tried to read set (partially) in India -- Son of the Circus, John Irving--I could not wade through, despite my love for Irving. This is our book club book for January. I finished Crow Lake by Mary Lawson (our November book) on the way home Friday--it was okay, but another one of those furor and angst books, that seemed to me to be much ado about not much.
Tree up, shopping pending
After a week away from real life, I hit the deck running with dinner out Friday after a 6:30 p.m. landing (I'd been up since 4:15 a.m. PST), then babysitting for C.N. Saturday, and out to dinner Sat. night.
Sunday we tried a new place to "harvest" our tree. The first Junkyard Christmas Tree Lot I have ever patronized. Yes, it indeed was a field of Christmas trees behind a junkyard, complete with junkyard dog. "Let's cut down the tree over by the '57 Chevy" was a real suggestion offered by T.D. The good part was, they had nice trees, and the better part, they were only $30! Considering how expensive St. Joe Christmas Tree Farm is (albeit, no dog, no old cars, and free hot chocolate), I've revised my opinion of the place!
Got a great soft pine, tall--about 10 feet--and skinny, but it "dressed" beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment