Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Last day of work for the year
Yea! After today I will be off until Jan. 3! Was it ever worth it to save those three vacation days (if difficult!). Of course given the online nature of my job I will be checking email, the site, doing updates, but it will be ALL FROM THE COMFORT OF MY HOME (OR MY PARENTS').
SNOW BUST: Yesterday "they" were predicting the big snowstorm for south of here with us just getting just an inch or less. This morning discovered we had been "upgraded" to a winter storm warning; which so far has netted this much snow: ZERO inches. Ohio correspondents report that Huron County is enjoying some precipitation, however.
DAIRY QUEEN DISASTER: Little makes me madder than poor restaurant food, the entire purpose of a restaurant being, to my mind, to serve food that people PAY for, and then look forward to EATING. Imagine my disappointment in visiting the DQ drive-thru and paying for a salad that was almost totally inedible. The lettuce was beyond rusty. It should have been thrown away, not given to a customer. Being a pro-active consumer, I immediately headed to the DQ web site and discovered their "send us a message" feature, which allowed me to send them a SCATHING comment on the quality of DQ food.
CHISTMAS, IT WILL COME: I am happy to report that not only are the Christmas presents bought, they are now WRAPPED. And re-hidden. Hopefully no nosy, sneaking little persons who will be over all day tomorrow will find them. We open them tomorrow night, so they don't have to stay hidden for long. It was fun to wrap them and remember everything we had picked out. I got a couple emails this week saying that items that had been backordered have been shipped--both things for A.--so hopefully they will arrive today or tomorrow.
Also, made an Aldi's trip at lunch and picked up the things I needed for dinner tomorrow; mainly, chickens and potatos. Now that's orginal. M. has decided to fry not just one chickens, but two, for Christmas; won't that add an edge of excitement to the proceedings! Nothing like a little FIRE to heat things up.
CAT TRACKS: Recieved a report this morning from R., the cat still resides under our mom's residence. I gather it is referred to as "that a#*h@^& cat." Poor little thing! Hopefully it can be rescued and adopted by some cat-friendly people. I guess it's not very big.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY: I was reminded it was niece K.'s b-day last week, which I totally spaced on, I am a very bad aunt and definitely come in second to R. Plus, I was sick as a dawg. But did a little shopping today and hopefully a "belated" birthday present will be okay! It's just fun to be able to celebrate her b-day, I am not used to it!
ON THE BEDSIDE TABLE: Actually I have no bedside table, it's on the bookcase headboard, but that sounds awkward. Still reading A Fine Balance for book club, I have not advanced very far. But that's because I bought a used copy of WIRED: The Short Life and Fast Times of John Belushi on amazon.com and can't put it down. It's by Bob Woodward; I read it several years ago (library copy) and became fascinated by him. (Belushi, not Woodward.) (Not that Woodward isn't interesting also.) He was just a brilliant comedian and developed into not a bad actor (Continental Divide being one of my favorite movies) but was just burdened by the need for -- well, drugs. He couldn't live without them, and he lived at a time and in a place where they were plentiful and accepted; everyone around him was doing it, too. Coke was creavitity to him; I don't think he believed he could function and be as funny as everyone wanted him to be without it. It's hard to read sometimes; unbelievable, at others; and mostly, sad.
POEM FOR THE DAY:From Gerard Manley Hopkins, one of my favorite poets
(The Windhover ; No Worst, there is none):

Christmas Prayer
Moonless darkness stands between.
Past, the Past, no more be seen!
But the Bethlehem star may lead me
To the sight of Him who freed me
From the self that I have been.
Make me pure, Lord: Thou art holy;
Make me meek, Lord: Thou wert lowly;
Now beginning, and always,
Now begin, on Christmas day.

No comments:

Post a Comment