Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Rents in the clouds
The cloud deck was, well, fog, but I couldn't help noticing on my way to work, about 7:45, a slight opening--I could see the cloud layers, and in between, blue sky. And in that, a jet contrail. At lunch--with the editorial gang--actual sunlight. And it's very warm.
Quotable
The best cure for worry, depression, melancholy, brooding, is to go deliberately forth and try to lift with one's sympathy the gloom of somebody else.-- Arnold Bennett
National Book Awards
Given last night. I had heard of the controversy over five NY-area women being nominated. Would the same fuss have been raised over five NY-area men? I think not.
Here's who won:

FICTION
The News from Paraguay
- Lily Tuck
NONFICTION
Arc of Justice: A Saga of Race, Civil Rights, and Murder in the Jazz Age
- Kevin Boyle
POETRY
Door in the Mountain: New and Collected Poems, 1965-2003
- Jean Valentine
YOUNG PEOPLE'S LITERATURE
Godless
- Pete Hautman

I'm happy to remember to put these in my blog, because I want to try to read all of them! I'm going to suggest that we read News from Paraguay in book club next year. I also want to read the young people's book. Right now I have Crow Lake to read, and A Fine Balance is on its way (book club January book).


No comments:

Post a Comment