Pages

Monday, November 8, 2004

November continues
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997

If you know how to spend less than you get, you have the philosopher's stone. -- Benjamin Franklin

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
-- George Bernard Shaw, "Back to Methuselah" (1921), part 1, act 1

In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Letters and Social Aims: Quotation and Originality, 1876

The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become. -- Charles Du Bos

To have that sense of one's intrinsic worth... is potentially to have everything... -- Joan Didion, Oprah Magazine, May 2004

I don't believe in intuition. When you get sudden flashes of perception, it is just the brain working faster than usual. But you've been getting ready to know it for a long time, and when it comes, you feel you've known it always. -- Katherine Anne Porter, 1989

Election and birthday have come and gone. Since I was so ambivilent about the election, I'm mostly glad it's over, along with the rest of the free world, I think. My birthday, while stunning in its numerical nuances, was as nice was could be. Presents kept appearing on my desk at work; a fine lunch was had at the Huntington Chinese Buffet (oh, wrap your mind around that); and an even better evening meal with all the fam, minus JD, at Casa. Little C's new haircut made its debut; it's still long enough for a top-knot, but is nicely evened-up. JR in good form; he has lost a bottom tooth. I brought him a new word search book, and we found a few while we waited for food. Later to DeBrands for chocolate.
The oddest thing. SM (little sister) and I both had haikus picked on the USAToday web site (Oct. 25 and 26, 2004). I had visited to check the new topic; was thrilled to see my name; eyes wandered to the one above me, and just could not believe what I was seeing: surely there is only one person in Norwalk, Ohio, with my sisters name! Indeed it was true. She was thrilled too! I sent an email to the folks at USAToday and a very nice editor responded; she couldn't believe it either, and offered to send me a book; I sent her S's address. I would like to frame the web page they appeared on.
Oh--the topic was "waterfall." Here are the winning entries:
Oct. 26: Waterfall
As torrents descend
Rainbows form in rising mist
At her roaring feet.
—Claudia Mullins, Norwalk, Ohio
Oct. 25: Waterfall
Serene stream, flowing
Briskly to oblivion
The boat is gone.
—Cathy Dee, Ft. Wayne, Ind.


No comments:

Post a Comment