Pages

Friday, October 8, 2004

October Seven
Haiku for today
Apple
Round, juicy, rosy
Crunchy, sweet, baked in a pie,
Fall means fresh apples.
Marathon
Pounding feet, sweat drips
Hands reach for water, splashing;
Lungs ache for deep breath.
Quoted!
You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, where you don't know what was in the newspapers that morning... a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. -- Ivy Baker Priest, in Parade, 1958
One's first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything. -- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
In Memoriam: I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her. -- Rodney Dangerfield
I dread winter
Was yesterday the last sweet day of summer? I don't mean by the calendar, of course--by the warmth in the air, the strength of the sun, soft wind. Still, the coolness of the shade holds the truth--that summer is so over, and we must slog through the cold months to come back to this. Despite my November birthday, I am a July girl in my heart and soul. Or a Floridian ( hurricanes excepted, obviously).
Politics on the radio, TV, conversations, newspapers
I'm wondering if voter turnout will be increased this year. Seems to be a real push, and these new voters, plus the swing voters, are a real question mark. Being a Hoosier, my vote counts about as much as dirt. Before the first presidential debate, I felt Bush would win handily (not that I was happy about it); now, I'm not quite as sure. Tonight's town meeting will be interesting.
As a public service, here are some voting links I dug up for work:
Political Humor
www.jibjab.com
Voter Guides
DemocracyNet
FactCheck.org
Candidates and Parties
Bush Cheney '04
Kerry Edwards
Nader/Camejo 2004
Other Political Links
On The Issues
Center for Voting and Democracy
Project Vote Smart
Just Vote
NPR 2004 Election site
CSPAN 2004 Election site
Presidential Match
4President.org
Declare Yourself
Watchblog
Election Projection
Gallup Poll
USAToday Political Calendar
U.S. Dept. of State
PBS Election Coverage

No comments:

Post a Comment