Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2004

I'm debating boredom
Someone's boring me. I think it's me. -- Dylan Thomas, in Rayner Heppenstall, Four Absentees (1960) [Some days are like this. One (hopefully, not the only one) thing about have more years behind you: it gets easier to spot tiresomeness in one's self and stop it quickly.]

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. -- Sir William Bragg [And ish't this true of everything? It was certainly true of Christ, and I think we let Him down mightily--wasn't one of his purposes on earth, not to give us some chiseled in granite religion, but to open our minds to new ways of thinking about God, our lives, and how we live with other people? An aside: saw this guy's picture on his bio page. Was he cute! And two years older than my Gramma Mc.]


Time is just something that we assign. You know, past, present, it's just all arbitrary. Most Native Americans, they don't think of time as linear; in time, out of time, I never have enough time, circular time, the Stevens wheel. All moments are happening all the time. -- Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess, Northern Exposure, Hello, I Love You, 1994 [I still miss this show. I'm sure it's on in reruns somewhere--or could be purchased on DVD. And I love this quote. I think of 4-year-old me, sitting on the steps in our house, thinking about time, and becoming cognizant of it for the first time. And later versions of that little girls learning that time is not as linear as I thought it was that day.]


Debate again last night. I am ashamed as a citizen to report I missed it. I was working on A's computer instead (I installed 22 Windows 98 updates to it...22. They had never patched it, and I think are like most people--they just don't pay attention to such things. But a sad commentary on the quality of the product Microsoft puts out. Especially considering I spent 2 hours downloading and installed SP2 on a brand new notebook last week.) Anyway, JD had messaged me as I was working on it. She was watching a debate for school for the first time ever. And her comments: "It's so stupid. They sound like fighting little kids." Pretty astute for a very young 20-something. And one reason I shall shake off my guilt about missing it. I didn't tell her, but as a Hoosier, your vote doesn't count anyway! Here's a similar story from the S. Florida Sun-Sentinel.

After days and days of sunny weather, clouds and rain. Fall for sure. Brilliant colors in the maples, especially on Rt. 24 just before one gets to Homestead Road, and on Homestead, just past Aboite Center. We saw two deer, a buck and a doe, as we drove to A's on Flaugh Road last night.



No comments:

Post a Comment