Pages

Friday, October 22, 2004

For Friday
I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming that comes when you finish the life of the emotions and of personal relations; and suddenly find - at the age of fifty, say - that a whole new life has opened before you, filled with things you can think about, study, or read about...It is as if a fresh sap of ideas and thoughts was rising in you.
-- Agatha Christie, An Autobiography, 1977

Bad haiku for Friday
Waterfall
Serene stream, flowing
Briskly to oblivion;
The boat is gone.

Best Far Side Cartoon ever
One couple passed out in the livingroom as another couple exits the front door. Caption:
"The Arnolds feign death until the Wagners, sensing the sudden awkwardness, are compelled to leave."

The pull of Diet Coke
I am becoming very sad. Drinking a Diet Coke is becoming the highlight of my afternoon. I am afraid there is something addictive in it. And I know I don't need the caffeine. Factoids of the day:
Nutritional Information
Amount (% RDA Ingredients)
Calories 0
Fat 0g (0%)
Sodium 40mg (2%)
Carbohydrates 0g (0%)
Sugar 0g
Protein 0g (0%)
Diet Coke™ - Ingredients
Carbonated Water
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Caramel Color
Phosphoric Acid
Natural Flavors
Caffeine
Aspartame (NutraSweet)
Potassium Benzoate
Citric acid

Baseball
Oh, you gotta love it. These games have been great. That Red Sox/Yankees series a classic. The play Wed. night when A-Rod knocked the ball out of the pitcher's glove--pure baseball. And the Cardinals/Astros, which has been getting short shrift because of the Red Sox/Yankees, was just as good last night. Any game that includes a suicide squeeze is a good one. I think it's the most exciting play in baseball.

Return of the golden orb
Others may call it "the sun." We are sheilding our eyes today, as we haven't seen it all week. My God it looks good! And while I wouldn't call it "warm," it's also not "cold." Spent time last weekend doing end-of-the-year yard things, cutting back some perrenials, snipping the last rose, pulling up the tomato vines. I must have thrown away 1,000 green tomatoes. I brought a bunch of ripe and half-ripe ones into work and gave them all away.

Cathy's Library
Book club this week, and a lively discussion of Cokie Robert's Founding Mothers. I really, really enjoyed it. Those women were remarkable, and unless you are lucky enough to read something like this book, you may never realize the importance of what they did--keeping families, farms and businesses together; observing the news, politics, and public opinion; advising and conversing with their husbands and others; and having babies every couple of years.
The Grim Grotto came last weekend, and did I have a good time reading it. I don't know if I would put it up in the top three Lemony Snicket books, but it's worth reading for the language alone. And the ending was exceptional--the first hint that the trials of the Baudelaire orphans (?) might have some kind of ending (happy or otherwise).
A book club friend has loaned me another book, First Mothers, about the mothers of presidents. Looks good.
I have a poetry book on order--Selected Poems by Mark Strand. Another discovery through Oprah--he was mentioned, along with a short poem, and I just loved it. I'll be on the lookout for other volumes if I like this one.
Also ordered Crow Lake, which is our November book club book. I hope it's a good one--I'm not familiar with it.
It's nice that amazon.com has the "used book" feature now--I'm getting some good prices, even with shipping, on books.

No comments:

Post a Comment